Saturday 19 January 2013

January 16 - Walkerville and Sale

We had planned to leave early Wednesday morning, relying on the toddler to get up at his usual ungodly hour and wake up the house. Obviously, this would be the day the kidlet decides to let us all sleep in... so we had a bit of a late start. Life lesson #12: Toddlers are generally unreliable.

Eventually we all packed into the car and started off. After about 2.5 hrs of driving, we got to Walkerville, which was another amazing beach surrounded by rocky cliffs. Being outside the city, the beach was more natural and isolated, with a number of small private bays separated by rocky cliffs. We climbed away from the main beach, over some rocks to our own little bay. As we set down our towels and unpacked our picnic, we realized that the tide seemed to be rising... and that getting back over submerged rocks might be tricky. So we packed up and went back. Damn nature, ruining our picnic! Life lesson #13: Plan for nature, wherever possible.

I stupidly brought my iPad and iPhone down to the beach, and with the riding tide I was too nervous to leave my bag on the towels and go for a swim, which had me very annoyed. I climbed a rock shelf overlooking the bay, and watched Ruby, Steve and Casper play in the water while feeling the spray of ocean waves crashing on the rocks. Life lesson #14: When Apple gives you lemons, an ocean breeze makes lemonade.

After the adorable family swim, we got back in the car and continued 2 hrs to a small town called Sale, where Steve and Ruby's friend Rhianna lives and works as a radio journalist. Rhianna was completely lovely, and her house was adorable, with a huge yard for Casper to run around in. Steve cooked a great pasta dinner, and after Casper went to bed us adults had gin and tonics out on the grass. The stars were incredible, super bright out in the middle of nowhere! All the constellations were upside down! So disorienting, I felt like I was on another planet under a whole new sky.

Another beautiful day. I guess in my ridiculous, uncalled for grouchiness and bitterness towards my technologies for keeping me out of the ocean, I forgot to take pictures this day, so you'll have to take my word for it. More photos tomorrow!


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Victoria, Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment