Friday 4 January 2013

Day 4

I am incredibly exhausted. It was a full day.

This morning Isla and Matthew and I loaded up the car and drove around Sydney with the top down. Sydney is a great mixture of old and new architecture, and maybe especially because its the middle of summer, greenery is everywhere. Reminds me a bit of parts of Vancouver in that respect. Anyway, I saw the harbour and the opera house and the bridge and all that, which was very exciting and i had no qualms about showing my enthusiasm even more than the dozen or so Japanese tourists who shared our lookout spot.

Then we continued on our drive to Palm Beach, which was about a half hour to 45 minutes away, a bit outside the city proper, though technically still a suburb I'm told. The drive was beautiful, parts were through a sunny forest of what I think might have been eucalyptus trees (but what do I know!). Palm Beach was great! It was a big change from Bondi yesterday in that there were way less people, and it seemed like more of a sleepy weekend suburb with a mix of extravagant newer beach houses and old character bungalows lining the roads and the beachside. We found a quiet isolated spot along the harbour, opened some beers and got some fish and chips and salads, which really hit the spot. We spent rest of the afternoon swimming and sunning and eating and drinking. Basically my favourite activities. There was a crazy ocean wind that kept us cool...and covered in sand. Still it was a perfect spot. Don't sweat the small stuff. Life lesson #6.

We drove back in then evening sun with the top down, and then ordered a pizza and hung out on the balcony for a bit. Yesterday I facebooked an old friend from high school who i havent spoken to in probably close to a decade, but who lives in Syndey now, so i thought i'd say hi. Turns out he works at the Enmore, which is one of the major music venues here. MIA was playing tonight, and he offered us comp tickets! So randomly, off we went to see MIA! Life lesson #7, get in touch with old friends. It was a pretty crazy show, and now I am exhausted as is likely obvious from the distinct lack of flare and hilarious jokes in today's posting. Sorry, maybe I will try and post before I crawl into bed, one of these days.

Here are some photos from today, which will hopefully describe the day better than I did.

My most lovely and generous hosts:



Palm Beach:




MIA!






All in all, a day that has been super fun and super exhausting. Tomorrow is the first day of the Sydney festival, and though i don't really know what that is, it sounds like i will need my rest. As such, this is me signing off!

Until next time,

Jessica


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Sydney, Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment