Saturday 5 January 2013

Day 5

Once again it's almost 2am, I'm in bed and trying to write this while fighting an intense urge to pass the hell right out, immediately. My mad iPad skillz will hopefully outlast the overwhelming joy of laying down, along with its concomitant excitement about imminent sleep. I'm giving it my best shot. Here we go!

When i woke up this morning, Isla was about to go run some errands, and not wanting to miss out on the local streets and shops I threw on a dress and followed her out the door. We walked around Bondi beach area a bit. It's a beautiful area! The greenery still impresses me, so much so that after a mere five days I feel like I've completely blocked Canadian winters out of my memory (thank god). The fact that these trees and plants and attitudes and summer outfits could exist on some plane of reality that cohabits with Canadian winters is borderline unfathomable. This area is full of tons of trendy little cafes and restaurants everywhere and people walking around in bathing suits. That being said, I tried to order an iced coffee, and it took 3 tries for the espresso bar to make me something resembling what I tried to order. An iced coffee! How do they not have those here? I am tempted to open an iced coffee shop and make a million dollars and never leave.

Isla's Matthew was out golfing for most of the morning, because he's a doctor. With all the sun Isla and I have been getting lately, once we got home from our stroll we elected to stay in this morning and eat delicious snacks and organize our lives a bit. I miss Computer. My best brother Joel is keeping it safe and happy I hope, but when I needed to try and get some bizness done on the iPad, I realized I wasn't in Kansas anymore, so to speak. Kind of nice, actually. "Oh no, I can't do any work... what a disaster"!?...anyway I watched a couple of episodes of Southpark on cable and realized I was still part of society. Hahaha. But seriously.

Matthew eventually got home, in an excellent mood having won some sort of golf tournament. We piled in the car with some champagne and grabbed some delicious snacks on the way and made our way to a tiny isolated beach looking onto the harbour. We walked down a little rock/wooden pathway, and made our way to a small cove where there were only about 2 or 3 other couples. I went for a swim, and thought I saw a stingray, but then told myself it was nothing and I was just being a paranoid tourist, until a boat pulled up and a family started pointing and shouting about a stingray. It is possible I swam with a stingray! WTF!

We ate our incredibly delicious picnic lunch / dinner on the beach and drank some champagne. The produce here is glorious. avocados the size if your fist (if you have unusually large and delicious fists)! Also very tasty olives and hummus, much better than back home, where these are some of my favourite foods. Eventually the sun set, and I took it upon myself to build a beach fire so that we wouldn't have to leave our little cove just because of something silly like the day being over. Unfortunately the big lovely tree we were sitting under attracted MASSIVE bats once it got dark, and all the swooping and talk of snakes and scorpions eventually made me miss the BMW... So we used our handy iphone flashlights to wind our way back up the little path to the car. We drove home with the top down and watched the stars. Finished off the picnic snacks at home, had great talks, time flew, and now it's late and I'm in bed again.

Every day is more perfect than the last. Still haven't learned to surf, though I am planning on lying to you about that any now.

Here is what today looked like. Eat your heart out. Then have some delicious snacks and watch a sunset. Life lessons #8 through 11. Bring delicious snacks. Drink champagne. Watch sunsets. Make fires.













Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Sydney, Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment