Tuesday 8 January 2013

Day 6, 7, 8


So it's been a few days since my last post. Life has been too gorgeous to spend time with iPad. I am finally kicking my technology addiction. All it takes is fantastic friends and wonderful weather.

On Sunday, Isla and I strolled around Bondi beach area and found a great little breakfast spot. I had some kind of portobello brioche with poached eggs and cured smoked salmon, topped with lemon butter sauce. I am working with the assumption that hangovers from decadent evenings of too much champagne can only be cured by equally decadent breakfasts. It's my favourite assumption.

After breakfast we went to Icebergs, which is a swimming pool right next to the ocean. Big waves that break on the wall of the pool and splash over the sides. It was nice to be able to swim without fighting the waves and sand and jellyfish. Isla and I got a great spot, and sat there all day reading books, swimming the occasional lap, and watching all the adorable little Australian toddlers run around like baby hobbitses. They all have such cute little sunbleached curls in their hair! It kills me!

After a full day at the pool, Isla and Matthew treated me to a fantastic dinner at the Icebergs restaurant, up a few storeys, overlooking the pool and the ocean. It was my last dinner in Sydney, and Isla really pulled out all the stops. Amazing wine, superb food, gorgeous view of the sunset. I am the luckiest house guest! It's official. The medal comes in the form of raspberry ricotta cannoli, and I ate it all, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Monday morning, Isla and I once again when out for delicious breakfast, and afterwards I packed up my bags. Once Matthew got home, we went to have one last evening at the beach, picking up chicken sandwiches and some cider beers on the way. The water was clear and calm and warm, and the sunset over the skyline was, once again, epic. Then it was off to the airport, with saltwater still in my hair and my skin warm from absorbed sunshine I saved up from the day. I hopped on a 1.5 hr flight to Melbourne, where I had a whole row all to myself (awesome! Where was this luck on my 12+hr flights??) .

Having read about my supermodel BMW convertible airport pickup in Sydney, my best pal Steve wanted to make his own special impression, and picked me up from the Melbourne airport barefoot, in a T-shirt and shorts, driving an adorably beat up "ute" (one of those cars with the pickup truck back) from the 80s. Full spectrum, Australia! Welcome to Melbourne! No one has ever greeted me at baggage claim barefoot before. I heart Steve. What a guy.

We arrived back at his and Ruby's place around midnight, and sat out on the patio catching up and drinking beers until 3am. This morning their adorable 2 yr old munchkin Casper woke me up with his gentle chatter in the other room, which was the most pleasant noise to wake up to, especially compared to the menagerie of Bondi Beach. Caspar's mom Ruby and I took him to the park this morning, and grabbed some coffees and pastries. Then this afternoon we all piled in the car - dog, toddler and all - and drove off to a swimming hole kind of in the middle on nowhere, along an isolated rocky river bank, for an evening swim. There was one other group there, celebrating a birthday, and they came over and offered us leftover homemade chocolate cake (which baby Casper promptly rubbed all over his face in ecstasy). It was an absolutely amazing spot. The dog went crazy and fetched a million sticks from the water, Steve and i crawled around on some rocky outlook points, ruby got in a ruby dingy and pattled around with the dog chasing the boat.

Best of all - On the way back, we saw a herd of kangaroos! Herd? Gaggle? Bonanza? There must be a hilarious term for a group of kangaroos. They are hilarious. I got out of the car and jumped up and down as they bounced away. What an absurd animal!! Bouncing is its primary method of transportation! Hahahaha. I really lost my shit. So funny.

Now Ruby is putting Casper to bed. Ruby's dad is over, who is an artist and is about to show me his work. He recently bought 5 acres of land outside the city and is planning on building a house with his own two hands. Ruby tells me he has also been a magician and a ventriloquist. He's amazing talk to and very friendly.

Anyway, i better get back in there, as the pizzas are ordered, and there are a number of bottles of wine that I'm sure they need my help with. Photos of the past few days should illustrate why I haven't posted lately. Been busy having the time of my life!


Sunday breakfast:



Icebergs pool (great name....nothing iceberg about it!):




Last beach day in Sydney.




Ruby and Steve's amazing house!





Family photo:




Baby Casper being baby Casper:



The river swim:




Kangaroos!!


I suggest everyone go watch a YouTube video of kangaroos bouncing, and really appreciate how hilarious they are.

Until next time,
Jessica

Location:Sydney / Melbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment