Saturday 9 February 2013

February 3 - Melbourne to Bangkok


This morning Ruby's friend Mel ( the one and only magnificent Mel) drove me to the airport in Melnourne, with Rubdy and Casper in tow. I was so sad saying goodbye to them!!! Aghhh! I love Ruby and Steve and Casper and Mel and all their wonderful amazing friends. Alas, my time in Melbourne has come to a close. It's so crazy how much time has passed, and so sad I might not see these gorgeous people for years now. God damnit. But I'm glad that I got to come, even if I have to leave now.

The flight to Bangkok was fine. I watched some terrible movies for lack of other options. I splurged on some (pretty gross) airplane wine. My 12 hr flight landed in Bangkok at 8pm local time. Unloading, baggage claim, and customs all took forever. But by around 9:45 pm I was in a taxi on the way to Khao San Road to meet Tomas.

I arrived around 10:30 pm (2:30 Australian time) and Tomas was sitting right outside the hostel and watched me get out of the cab, with open arms and cold beers. We sat around and chilled out for a bit, I changed into something more appropriate for the humidity and we went out exploring Khao San Road with Tomas's friends Josh and Karyn, who he knows from school.

Khao San is ridiculous. It's the backpacking Mecca of south east asia, both in a good way and in a bad way. I had a pad thai from a food cart that was about 90 cents in Canadian dollars and also delicious. We had a bunch of beers at a bar that had a thai guy playing along to western music from years ago. Nirvana was prominent, as was Rolling Stones. It was pretty random, and pretty cool.

Khao San is overstimulation central. After an hour or two, with the time change, I had to get to bed. Tomas informed me shortly after I got off the plane that he bought us overnight bus tickets to go down to Ko Phan Ngan, an island on the southern peninsula of Thailand, so I guess that what I am doing tomorrow. Need some sleep!

Tomorrow will be a big day. Wish me luck.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment